Santa Clarita residents are used to driving to where they need to go, but even these seasoned drivers run into complications when traveling long-distance. Since commuting long distances is often a little chaotic itself, moving one’s life across a long-distance can certainly pose some unforeseen challenges. Therefore, it is key to plan for such a move beforehand, which includes learning some effective ways of simplifying the process.
One of the best ways to simplify a move is to hire a professional moving company to help make sure the move goes smoothly and that the stressful burden of coordinating a long-distance move isn’t all on you. In this article, we’ll go over five of the most helpful tips for having a smooth long-distance move in Santa Clarita.
1. Downsize as Much as Possible
The cost of moving is often heavily based upon the amount and weight of the total belongings being transported by the moving company; therefore, it makes sense to get rid of whatever you don’t need before the move to avoid any unnecessary costs. You can do this by:
- Having a garage sale
- Donating items that you no longer use, that you haven’t used within the past year, or that do not bring you joy
- Selling items online, at flea markets, or swap meets
2. Keep a To-Do List
Staying organized and on-task in preparing for a long-distance move is often extremely difficult for most people – there is a lot to consider and plan for to ensure things go smoothly. Here are a few more tips to help keep you organized:
- Organize a to-do list in order of urgency or importance
- Set realistic, attainable goals for yourself and delegate responsibilities
- Try to accomplish something off your list each day
- Continually update your to-do-list
- Ask others for help and support
3. Pack Your Belongings in an Organized Fashion
“Organized” is a word you’ll hear a lot if you’re trying to pull off a long-distance move. Just as it’s important to keep track of your progress toward a smooth moving day, it’s also important to stay organized while packing your belongings. This can be difficult for some, so here are a few tips:
- Keep an inventory of your belongings and what boxes they are in
- Make lists of what items need to be boxed with special materials so you can purchase enough packaging
- Label boxes appropriately and clearly so there won’t be confusion amongst household members
- Multipurpose items – you can do this by wrapping dishes in towels, using bedding as padding, etc.
- Pack frequently-used items last so you can have easy access to them
- Keep important belongings accessible, such as medical documents
4. Plan Your Route Ahead of Time
With current technology and satellite navigation, moving long-distance has gotten a bit easier. However, it’s still important to take time to plan your travel route. Here’s a few things to consider:
- Pets’ needs
- Children’s needs
- Taking breaks to ensure safety
- If you’ll need to stay overnight anywhere & booking hotels
- Keeping emergency items accessible
5. Spend Time Learning About Your New Area
Moving long-distance can be a huge transition for individuals and families alike. It’s important to spend some time becoming familiar with the area you’ll be moving to, ensuring that you are confident in case of an emergency or that you can simply go out to dinner at a new restaurant spontaneously if you’d like. The more time you spend learning about the culture of your new residence, the more comfortable you’ll be while adjusting.
How We Can Help You Simplify Your Move
Here at Watford Moving & Storage, we pride ourselves on providing a high-quality moving experience for all long-distance movers in the Santa Clarita area. Moving can be stressful and challenging without the right help; at Watford Moving & Storage, our professional moving team makes long-distances moves seamless, smooth, and simple for our clients. To learn more about the services we provide, our credentials, or how we can help simplify your long-distance move, please feel free to contact one of our helpful associates today.